Saturday, July 2, 2011

No News Really Does Mean Good News

I am so sorry it has been a long spell with no updates.  I have been so busy every day, and by the time I have a few, quiet minutes for some thought, it is 9:30 and I am tired.  But, rest assured, the lapse in communication means things are going well.

The back has FINALLY healed.  It took some time, but the incision looks good.  Keenan was released to get in the pool on Thursday and wasted no time getting in the water.  He had Brad and my dad in our community pool that evening.  It was so nice to watch him do something fun.  He had a good time.  (Kaylee, on the other hand, was another story.)

His physical therapy sessions are going well.  Almost daily we get to see him do something he could not do the day before, or see his strength and stamina for walking increase a bit.  That is so exciting and the reward we all need to keep us on the path to full recovery on those days we don't feel like staying the course.  Keenan, for the most part has a good attitude about the therapy.  He does try to get Sarah off task a bit, but he is a little boy, after all.

The daily stretching and strengthening we do at home poses more of a battle of wills.  He and I do not see eye to eye on doing those some days.  I don't blame him one bit for getting tired of it.  It is hard enough as an adult to maintain what he know is best for our bodies, (at least I do) let alone a 7 year old little boy.  Over the years I have noticed that I have become more "tough" as a person.  Life experiences, first born nature, or just personality, who knows.  But, I think I know the reason for a "tougher skin".  It is so I can go to battle with this STRONG willed little boy when necessary.  There are days I don't want to fight with him to go through the whole routine, but it is vital right now, so stern mom enters the scene and almost always we work as a team to get it done.

Keenan is back in his walker (for the most part).  He is using it around the house to get from place to place and I also have him do at least one "longer" walk daily.  At first we had to hold on to his arms as he walked because his legs could give out at any moment, but we are less fearful of that happening now.  He has much better control of his legs and they are definitely stronger.

He had a milestone moment on Friday.  Keenan got a new pair of braces that go right above his ankles.  This was a BIG step toward becoming more independent.  The reason for the new braces is so Keenan's calf muscles can have the opportunity to really work and become strong.  With the taller braces, they don't really get to work and without strong calf muscles, he won't be able to walk independently.  We are so excited about this step and hope it is a sign of more great things yet to come.

So now what???  Well, we will travel back to St. Louis in September for one more procedure.  This one is MUCH less evasive and will require just one night in the hospital.  Kee still has some stiffness in his hamstrings and heels.  An orthopedic doctor there has refined the procedure of lengthening these muscles.  The more traditional method requires kids to be in casts for a period of time, and the risk of over lengthening is more prevalent.  If Keenan were put into casts, it would slow his overall progress, losing some of the ground that would have been gained.  This procedure will be September 13th.  He knows about it and does not seem worried in the least bit right now. 

Long term outlook????  I have had a few people ask.  Here is what we know, or have been told at this point.  Dr. Park said the surgery was a success and any one who has felt his legs before and after the surgery would have to agree.  They are not the same!!!!! We don't really know how long it will take until he has reached the optimum point in his recovery.  I would think it may take a year, since he is having the other surgery, but perhaps by that point we will have a better idea.  He will certainly continue to get stronger and gain confidence and strength for years to come, but I think a year from now will shed a great deal of light on what the future my look like for Kee.  I know one thing for sure, it is going to be a future neither Brad or I EVER thought possible for our miracle son.  HOW EXCITING!!!!  To God be the glory.

I know there will be more, but one thing I have learned from this experience thus far is not to live in fear.  There was, for a time, fear about moving forward with this procedure.  Looking back now I can see that fear could have kept me from opening a new door for Keenan.  How often do we live in fear and allow that lack of trust to overcome what God has told us to do?  (I hate to think how many times I have blown it.)  But, for those times I did choose to trust, He is bigger than anything our minds can conjure up to believe--and my mind has come up with some pretty big scenarios to fear.  He has always been faithful and taken care of me.  Even though every outcome was not what I would have chosen, I am still thankful I chose Him and not the fear. There were blessings I could not have imagined on the other side every time.

Well, enough on this one.  Guess that is what happens when I wait a month to post.  I will post some pictures of his new braces after the weekend of fun.

Blessings to all,
Tammy



5 comments:

dobrien said...

I bet that swim was really refreshing. What a great way to take a break. Glad to hear things are looking up, Tammy.

Lynn Nash said...

It was so great to see You and Keenan at therapy! I can't believe how well he looks after all he's been thru in the past year and half.

I thank you for taking time to write about his journey Tammy. And you have to have thick skin for all your family has gone through so be proud of that skin mama!

I'm so happy we met all those years ago in the Nicu. Keenan is a true testimony to God's miracles and we are blessed to know him.

love and hugs to you all
Lynn

Nellie said...

It was so good to see you all in church Sunday! I wish I'd gotten to chat with you...maybe next time. What a blessing to be cleared to swim, especially since temperatures are so HOT right now! Still praying for all of you!

Love ya,
J

WillhiteFam said...

Tears flood my eyes, as I think of how far Kee has come. to the success and the joy it is to see his new mobility. to think of what can be & what will be for him & all of you. we are so limited in our fears....what GREAT lessons we can all learn from your Sweet Miracle. Rejoicing at what is & is to come...Praising God for the progress! Hang in there & remain strong...it will continue to serve you both-Love you all! Aunt Laina

sjeanboyd said...

Tam, was so great to see you, brad & Kids on sunday. Wow!!! To God Be the Glory, Kee looks great and what a blessing to see him walking so well. Your spirit and faithfulness to God shows in that little boy.
Love Grandma Sondra